1000/1688- These passenger coaches, built by the Pullman Company in 1925 for the Southern Railway, are some of the older coaches in operation at TVRM. They are adjustable window coaches, however in 1936, the Southern Railway modernized the coaches to have sealed windows, and steam jet airconditioning, at which time the 1000 gained its current number (it was originially a 1600 series car) and the arch roof that it still has today, whereas the 1688 retained its clerestory style roof. After TVRM acquired the cars in 1968, the cars had their air conditoning systems deactivated, and the windows were allowed to be reopened for a true 1920's experience. Today, they are popular additions on trains because of their 1920's appearance and their open windows which allow passengers to listen to working locomotives and the clickety-clack of the rails.
906- Built in 1924 by the Pullman Company for the Central of Georgia Railroad, the 906 would have originally resembled TVRM’s coach 1688 before being modernized in 1937. 906 is unique in TVRM’s collection because of the dividing wall in the middle of the car denoting it as a segregated or “Jim Crow” car. The Central of Georgia Railroad used this car in regular service, relegating African-American passengers to a separate section complete with segregated restrooms until the end of that era on railroads in the 1950s. Today, TVRM maintains this car in its original configuration as a reminder of a difficult time in our nation’s history. While unpleasant to remember, it is important to understand this past along with the other stories we preserve at TVRM. 906 is believed to be the only Jim Crow car in operating condition with the segregating wall intact.
907- Built in 1947 by American Car and Foundry for the Central of Georgia Railroad, the 907 is similar to coach 906 in that it was a segregated or “Jim Crow” car. However, the railroad later removed the central dividing wall after the era of segregation ended making it a normal coach. Today, it remains an open coach with only the separate restrooms as an indicator of its segregated past.
98- The Pullman Company built car number 98 in 1917 as a private car for the president of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad featuring a kitchen, crews’ quarters, dining room, three staterooms and a lounge. The car also features mahogany paneling, brass fixtures, leaded glass interior windows and a rear, open observation platform. While the railroad updated the 98 in the 1930s to include sealed windows and climate control, it has changed very little since. Today, the car is available to the public for charter on TVRM’s various excursions. The car comfortable seats six passengers for lunch on our Chickamauga Turn and eight for our Summerville Steam Special. For our Dinner on the Diner trip the car will seat eight passengers as well. The 98 is TVRM’s most luxurious car and allows its passengers to ride in a true first-class style reminiscent of a bygone age.
Clover Colony- The Pullman Company built the Clover Colony in 1920 for the Southern Pacific Railroad. It is a sleeping car from the company whose name is synonymous with railroad sleeping accommodations. It is known as an “8-5” because there are eight open section-type sleeping accommodations (akin to bunk beds) and five compartment-type sleeping accommodations (more private, similar to a small bedroom). While TVRM does not offer overnight trips in which the Clover Colony could be put to its original use, the car often travels with the 98 and the dining car, offering first class seating options for passengers. The interior of the car is decorated in its original 1920s decor, transporting passengers to the decade when the Pullman Company was at its height and passengers traveling overnight could travel in Pullman safety and comfort.
Dining Car 3158- The 3158, built by Pullman in 1924 for the Southern Railway, served the railroad until 1968 when Southern donated the car to TVRM. When first built, the car featured open windows, a clerestory roof, ornate fixtures reminiscent of the early 1920s and two-person tables along one side, four-person tables along the other. The railroad updated the car often, the last time in the late 1940s, removing the clerestory roof in favor of a simpler, rounded roof, heating, and air conditioning, sealed windows and a new seating arrangement of four-person tables throughout. Today, the 3158 travels with most of TVRM’s longer excursions offering meal service to passengers. While many museums use caterers to prepare food off-site and simply serve on board, TVRM is proud to prepare all meals onboard from fresh ingredients. Have a meal in the 3158 and travel back to a time when railroad cuisine made all passengers feel first class.
857- This 52 seat coach was constructed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1947 by the Edward G. Budd Company for the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad. The car later saw service on Amtrak before being donated to the Bluewater Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society in Saginaw, Michigan. They operated the car for a number of years until transferring ownership to TVRM in 2011.
661- This 56 seat coach was built by American Car & Foundry in 1947 for the Central of Georgia Railroad. The car was the 2nd in a class of cars built for use on the Nancy Hanks II and saw many years of service for the Central and successor Southern Railway before ownership was transferred to the Tennessee Valley.
1037Coach 1037 - This 52 seat coach was built in 1911 by the Pullman Company for the Southern Railway as a sleeping car before being rebuilt in 1954 to its present configuration. The car was restored in 2005, is the oldest passenger car on TVRM's active roster.
873- This car is unique from others in TVRM's collection, in that it is what is known as a Grill Car. It was built in 1948 by American Car & Foundry for the Missouri Pacific Railroad, later being sold to the Detroit & Mackinac Railroad for use in their corporate office train. The car was restored to service in 2009 and painted to match car 3101, which it is paired with on the Hiwassee River Railroad out of Etowah, TN.
3101- This 60 seat coach was built in 1946 by American Car & Foundry for the Louisville and Nashville Railroad for use on their premier train, called "The Hummingbird", which ran between Cincinnati and New Orleans. The car later was owned by the Friends of the 261 and based in the Twin Cities area, and then sold to the Hardin & Southern Railroad in Kentucky. The car was purchased by TVRM in 2006, and soon thereafter restored to its as-delivered L&N appearance. Today, the car is in service on the Hiwassee River Railroad and carries markings honoring the memory of longtime Hiwassee River Railroad car host and L&N Track Foreman Parnick William (P.W.) Jones.
662- This 56 seat coach was built by American Car & Foundry in 1947 for the Central of Georgia Railroad. The car was the 3rd in a class of cars built for use on the Nancy Hanks II and saw many years of service for the Central and successor Southern Railway. The car would then be donated to the Southeastern Railway Museum(SERM) in 1980. The car is on lease from SERM for use on our Hiwassee River Rail Adventure trains.
829- This 52 sear car was built by the Budd Company in 1949 for the Southern Railway. The car was used on trains such as "The Southern", "The Tennessean", "The Royal Palm", and "The Crescent". The car is now owned by the Southern Appalachia Railway Museum and is leased to TVRM.
832- This 52 sear car was built by the Budd Company in 1949 for the Southern Railway. The car was used on trains such as "The Southern", "The Tennessean", "The Royal Palm", and "The Crescent." TVRM would acquire the car in 2011 and is currently conducting a complete restoration to bring the car back into service.
Southern RPO 40- Railway Post Office (RPO) Car 40 was built by American Car and Foundry for the Southern Railway in 1922. It operated throughout the Tennessee Valley Region with U.S. postal workers on board, sorting mail as the car rolled from one location to the next. The 40 is on display at TVRM's East Chattanooga shops awaiting restoration.
Dining Car 899- Built in 1954 by the Pullman Standard Company for the Grand Trunk Western Railroad. Found on our Dinner Trains and trips into Northwest Georgia.
Dining Car 3164- This car was built in 1924 by the Pullman Company for the Southern Railway. The Southern Appalachia Railway Museum would acquire the car in 1996 and use it till 2017. The car is leased to TVRM and is currently awaiting small maintenance repairs before being brought back into service for TVRM dinner trains.