About Nashville, Chattanooga & St. Louis 710
General Motors Electro-Motive Division built the 710 in 1950 for the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis (NC&St.L) Railway. The 710 was built as a GP7, developing 1,500 horsepower.
The NC&St.L 710 later became Louisville and Nashville (L&N) 478. The 478 was sold to Amtrak in 1978, being again renumbered 772, to be used in maintenance of way service. Amtrak had the locomotive converted to a GP9, increasing its horsepower to 1,750.
TVRM would later acquire the locomotive, completing its restoration in 2004. TVRM also returned the locomotive to its original 1950s appearance, including paint scheme and number. Today, the 710 can be found in operation on many of the museum’s trains.
Locomotive: Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis 710
Locomotive Type: Diesel-Electric
Operators: Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis Railway, Louisville and Nashville Railroad, Amtrak, Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
Builder: General Motors Electro-Motive Division
Date Built: 1950
Date Restored: 2004
Locomotive Weight: 259,500 lb
Prime Mover: EMD 567C
Horsepower: 1,750 hp