Ride a vintage short-line train! Our most frequent service trips — the “Local” — begin at our Grand Junction Station and travel to East Chattanooga for a layover to view a turntable demonstration and tour of our restoration shop.
The 1488, also named “Emory and Henry College,” was originally built in 1949 by the Budd Company for the Norfolk and Western Railway as a S1 class, lightweight, 10-6 sleeping car. As a 10-6 sleeper, it had 10 roomettes (single passenger rooms) and 6 double-bedrooms (two passenger rooms). No longer a sleeping car, it was eventually converted to a commuter car. It also saw service with the Pennsylvania Railroad, Maryland Area Regional Commuter, and Mid America Railcar. The 1488 went into service at TVRM in 2020.
Car: Norfolk and Western 1488/”Emory and Henry College”
Car Type: Coach
Operators: Norfolk and Western Railway, Pennsylvania Railroad, Maryland Area Regional Commuter, Mid America Railcar, Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
Builder: Budd Company
Date Built: 1949
Number of Seats: 88
Paint Scheme: Orange and Brown
Lettered: Orlando & Northwestern