Central of Georgia 349: A Storied Journey of the Oldest Locomotive in TVRM Collection
The locomotive became Central of Georgia 1587 in 1894. It was renumbered to 1581 in 1912, and finally renumbered 349 in 1926. In 1937, the 349 was leased to the Talbotton Railroad near Albany, GA until it went out of business. The locomotive later saw service on the Bowdon Railroad.
The 349 was retired in the 1950s. The locomotive eventually found its way into private ownership. During its time in private ownership, the 349 was painted green and gold, and lettered for the Southern Railway.
The 349 was donated to TVRM in 1987. It was then place on display at Grand Junction. Today, the locomotive can be seen cosmetically restored and on display at the Erlanger Children’s Hospital in Chattanooga, TN, on long term loan from TVRM.
Locomotive: Central of Georgia 349
Locomotive Type: Steam
Operators: Savannah & Western Railway, Central of Georgia Railway, Talbotton Railroad, Bowdon Railroad
Builder: Baldwin Locomotive Works
Builders Number: 11994
Date Built: 1891
Date Retired: 1954 (Revenue Service)
Date Restored: None
Wheel Arrangement: 4-4-0 American
Driver Diameter: 63 in
Locomotive Weight: 101,550 lb
Boiler Pressure: 160 psi
Cylinder Size: 18 in x 24 in
Valve Gear: Stephenson
Tractive Effort: 16,800 lbf
Paint Scheme: Black
Status: Display at Erlanger Children’s Hospital