The Hiwassee Loop train ride is a 50-mile roundtrip through the beautiful lower Hiwassee River gorge. This 5-hour trip takes you to the top of the famous Hiwassee Loop, where you can enjoy stunning views of the river below.
This car was manufactured by the Budd Company in 1955 for use on the Great Northern’s premier train known as the “Empire Builder” (named after James J. Hill who was known as the Empire Builder, and who had served as chief executive of the GN since 1901). The car is a vista dome/coach, and has a capacity for 46 passengers between the upper and lower levels. With the formation of the Burlington Northern Railroad in 1970, the car was renumbered as BN 4611, and again as Amtrak 9471 with the formation of that company in May, 1971. The car gained its current number in January, 1984 when it was rebuilt to draw its electricity from head end power (HEP), at which time it became Amtrak 9410. After retirement from Amtrak in 1995, the car began to be sold between various private owners, at one point even enjoying a stint on the Alaska Railroad. The car operated at the Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad between 2008 and 2012, being named “Emerson” at that time. It was later sold to Mid-America Railcar Leasing, who leased it to TVRM beginning in 2012. When TVRM returned the car to lease in 2014, it was repainted with Wabash lettering and renamed “Jackson Square” for use on trips with the Norfolk & Western 611. Following the 611 trips, it was leased by Iowa Pacific Holdings who used it for a brief period on the Grenada Railway in Mississippi before returning it to lease. It was purchased by TVRM in 2018 while in service on the Orlando & Northwestern Railway in Tavares, Florida and shipped to Delano, Tennessee where it can be found on all of our departures into the beautiful Hiwassee River Gorge.
Car: Great Northern 9410
Car Type: Vista Dome/Coach
Operators: Great Northern Railway, Burlington Northern Railroad, Amtrak, Private Ownership, Mid-America Railcar, Tennessee Valley Railroad Museum
Builder: Budd Company
Date Built: 1955
Paint Scheme: Brown and Orange