349- Built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in June 1891 for the Savannah & Western Railway, later being sold to the Central of Georgia Railroad in 1894. The 349 is one of the few remaining examples of the most common type of locomotive ever built. The design was so ubiquitous that it earned the name
“American” locomotive. It is distinguished by its four small wheels in the front and four large wheels behind, with no wheels in the rear. Thus it is a 4-4-0 type wheel arrangement. Various locomotive manufacturers built the American-type locomotive from prior to the Civil War until the 1920s.
4501- Built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1911 for the Southern Railway, the 4501 was the first of its class on that railroad. The wheel arrangement is a 2-8-2, known as a Mikado, which is Japanese for "Emperor" since the first of this type were sold to Japan. 4501 served the Southern until 1948 when the railroad sold the locomotive to the Kentucky & Tennessee Railway and renumbered it to 12. When the small Kentucky railroad put the 4501 up for sale for scrap value in the early 1960s, TVRM’s first president, Paul Merriman, purchased the locomotive, brought it to Chattanooga and returned it to service. Since the mid-1960s, 4501 has pulled countless passenger excursion trains across the Southern (later Norfolk Southern) Railway. The 4501 ended its service in 1999 due to rising maintenance costs but was selected for service in the "21st Century Steam" program, being restored to service between 2011 and 2014. The 4501 is the sole survivor of 435 Mikado locomotives on the Southern Railway.
630- The American Locomotive Company, also known as ALCO, built the 630 for the Southern Railway in 1904. The wheel arrangement of this engine is a 2-8-0, known as a Consolidation. 630 spent many years in service out of Asheville, North Carolina serving on the Murphy and Lake Toxaway Branches until sold to the East Tennessee & Western North Carolina Railroad in 1952. The engine came to TVRM in 1978 and operated until 1989 when removed from service, being in need of a major overhaul. The engine was restored over a period of ten years, at a cost of almost $700,000. This restoration was completed in 2011 and has been called one of the most extensive overhauls on a steam locomotive since the end of the steam era.
610- The Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton Corporation built the 610 in 1952 for the U.S. Army. It was one of the last steam locomotives built for service in this country. The Army used the 610 as a training locomotive, preparing crews to operate on European railroads if the need arose, and they retired it in the early 1960s. After coming to TVRM in 1978, the locomotive was restored to operation and it has been in nearly continuous service since 1991. The 610 is currently out of service awaiting a major overhaul after which it will re-enter service at TVRM.
6910 - Built in May of 1920 by the Baldwin Locomotive Works, this 2-8-2 locomotive originally operated on the Kentucky & Tennessee Railway - a shortline constructed to serve the Stearns Coal and Lumber Company in Stearns, Kentucky. The K&T once boasted over 25 miles of track and 12 steam locomotives. TVRM purchased K&T 10 in 1965, renumbered it as 6910, and utilized it on an autumn excursion from Chattanooga to Cleveland, TN in October of that same year. However, due to its very poor operating condition, that one excursion was the first and only trip it would lead. With plans to cosmetically restore this engine, TVRM will soon make it a much more visible part of the collection in the Grand Junction Display Yard.
6914- General Motors Corporation’s Electro-Motive Division built the 6914 for the Southern Railway in 1953. It is known as an E8 diesel-electric locomotive. Passengers loved the streamlined design of this and similar locomotives which convey a sense of speed and modernity. The 6914 hauled one of the Southern Railway’s signature trains, the Southern Crescent, between New Orleans and Washington, D.C. The locomotive is currently under restoration back to operating condition by an all-volunteer crew. Soon, the 6914 will once again haul passenger trains as it did many decades ago.
2594- General Motors Corporation’s Electro-Motive Division built 2594 in 1962 for the Southern Railway. On loan from the Atlanta Chapter NRHS, it is known as a GP-30 and has over 2,000 horsepower. The engine would have been used in tandem with other diesel-electric locomotives to haul long freight trains across the country. Today, 2594 hauls TVRM’s excursion trains and wears the same historic Southern Railway paint scheme as when it was new.
1824 & 1829- These diesel-electric locomotives, built by EMD in 1951 for the U.S. Army, would have switched freight cars at the Holston Army Ammunition Plant in Kingsport, Tennessee. They are GP-7 type locomotives, developing 1,500 horsepower and proving to be one of the more versatile designs of the mid-Twentieth century, hauling both freight and passengers in various settings.
8669- The American Locomotive Company (ALCO) built this RS-1 in 1945 for service in the U.S. Army. It served later with the U.S. Air Force at Eglin Air Force base when TVRM acquired it in the late 1970s. This diesel-electric locomotive is a long-time veteran of TVRM’s passenger trains hauling the Missionary Ridge Local as well as longer excursion trains. This locomotive is currently out of service in need of electrical and mechanical work before being returned to service.
710- The 710 is a GP-9 type diesel-electric locomotive built by the Electro-Motive Division in 1950 for the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis (NC&St.L) Railroad as a GP-7. In 1978, the locomotive was sold to Amtrak, and converted to a 1,750 horsepower GP-9 Today, TVRM has restored the locomotive to its original 1950s appearance and uses the locomotive on Missionary Ridge Local excursions, along with off property trips when needed.
5000- Built in 1972, this locomotive was the first of 257 2,000 horsepower GP38-2 locomotive purchased by the Southern Railway. The locomotive operated on the Southern and Norfolk Southern Railway until 2016 when sold at auction to TVRM, at which time it was restored to the same paint scheme it wore when new.
80- Built for the Tennessee, Alabama & Georgia Railway in 1968, TAG 80 was the last, and most powerful railroad purchased by that railroad. The engine was named "The John A. Chambliss" in honor of the railroad's vice president, and dedicated on his 80th birthday. The 80 was later sold to the Southern Railway, and later became the property of Norfolk Southern, who sold it at auction to the Chambliss family in 2001, who then donated the locomotive to TVRM. The locomotive was restored mechanically, electrically and cosmetically between 2015 and 2016, returning to service in March 2017. It is a model GP38, developing 2,000 horsepower.
606- Built in 1954 by General Motors for the Chicago, Milwaukee, St. Paul & Pacific Railroad (The Milwaukee Road), this SW-1200 was used for switching on many parts of the Milwaukee's vast system. The locomotive is equipped with a 12 cylinder, 1,200 horsepower diesel engine, and was acquired by TVRM from the United States Navy in Crane, Indiana in late 2015.
200- Built in 1941 for the St. Louis-San Francisco (Frisco) Railroad by the Baldwin Locomotive Works, this VO-1000 was the very first diesel ever acquired by that company. The 200 was later repowered with an EMD prime mover, and reclassified as a VO-1000RP, indicating it was a repowered unit. This diesel switching locomotive was acquired in 2015 from the U.S. Navy in Crane, Indiana.
1000/1688- These passenger coaches, built by the Pullman Company in 1926 for the Southern Railway, are some of the oldest coaches in operation at TVRM. They are open-window coaches, having never been modernized by Southern Railway with sealed windows and climate control as many older coaches were. Today, they are popular additions on trains because of their 1920s appearance and their open windows which allow passengers to listen to working locomotives and the clickety-clack of the rails.
906- Built in 1924 by the Pullman Company for the Central of Georgia Railroad, the 906 would have originally resembled TVRM’s coach 1688 before being modernized in 1937. 906 is unique in TVRM’s collection because of the dividing wall in the middle of the car denoting it as a segregated or “Jim Crow” car. The Central of Georgia Railroad used this car in regular service, relegating African-American passengers to a separate section complete with segregated restrooms until the end of that era on railroads in the 1950s. Today, TVRM maintains this car in its original configuration as a reminder of a difficult time in our nation’s history. While unpleasant to remember, it is important to understand this past along with the other stories we preserve at TVRM. 906 is believed to be the only Jim Crow car in operating condition with the segregating wall intact.
907- Built in 1947 by American Car and Foundry for the Central of Georgia Railroad, the 907 is similar to coach 906 in that it was a segregated or “Jim Crow” car. However, the railroad later removed the central dividing wall after the era of segregation ended making it a normal coach. Today, it remains an open coach with only the separate restrooms as an indicator of its segregated past.
98- The Pullman Company built car number 98 in 1917 as a private car for the president of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad featuring a kitchen, crews’ quarters, dining room, three staterooms and a lounge. The car also features mahogany paneling, brass fixtures, leaded glass interior windows and a rear, open observation platform. While the railroad updated the 98 in the 1930s to include sealed windows and climate control, it has changed very little since. Today, the car is available to the public for charter on TVRM’s various excursions. It comfortably seats ten passengers for lunch and eight for dinner and can carry twelve passengers total. The 98 is TVRM’s most luxurious car and allows its passengers to ride in a true first-class style reminiscent of a bygone age.
Clover Colony- The Pullman Company built the Clover Colony in 1920 for the Southern Pacific Railroad. It is a sleeping car from the company whose name is synonymous with railroad sleeping accommodations. It is known as an “8-5” because there are eight open section-type sleeping accommodations (akin to bunk beds) and five compartment-type sleeping accommodations (more private, similar to a small bedroom). While TVRM does not offer overnight trips in which the Clover Colony could be put to its original use, the car often travels with the 98 and the dining car, offering first class seating options for passengers. The interior of the car is decorated in its original 1920s decor, transporting passengers to the decade when the Pullman Company was at its height and passengers traveling overnight could travel in Pullman safety and comfort.
Dining Car 3158- The 3158, built by Pullman in 1924 for the Southern Railway, served the railroad until 1968 when Southern donated the car to TVRM. When first built, the car featured open windows, a clerestory roof, ornate fixtures reminiscent of the early 1920s and two-person tables along one side, four-person tables along the other. The railroad updated the car often, the last time in the late 1940s, removing the clerestory roof in favor of a simpler, rounded roof, heating, and air conditioning, sealed windows and a new seating arrangement of four-person tables throughout. Today, the 3158 travels with most of TVRM’s longer excursions offering meal service to passengers. While many museums use caterers to prepare food off-site and simply serve on board, TVRM is proud to prepare all meals onboard from fresh ingredients. Have a meal in the 3158 and travel back to a time when railroad cuisine made all passengers feel first class.
857- This 52 seat coach was constructed in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in 1947 by the Edward G. Budd Company for the Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railroad. The car later saw service on Amtrak before being donated to the Bluewater Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society in Saginaw, Michigan. They operated the car for a number of years until transferring ownership to TVRM in 2011.
661- This 56 seat coach was built by American Car & Foundry in 1947 for the Central of Georgia Railroad. The car was the 2nd in a class of cars built for use on the Nancy Hanks II and saw many years of service for the Central and successor Southern Railway before ownership was transferred to the Tennessee Valley.
1037- This 52 seat coach was built in 1911 by the Pullman Company for the Southern Railway as a sleeping car before being rebuilt in 1954 to its present configuration. The car was restored in 2005, is the oldest passenger car in TVRM's collection, and is currently in service on the Hiwassee River Railroad out of Etowah, Tennessee.
873- This car is unique from others in TVRM's collection, in that it is what is known as a Grill Car. It was built in 1948 by American Car & Foundry for the Missouri Pacific Railroad, later being sold to the Detroit & Mackinac Railroad for use in their corporate office train. The car was restored to service in 2009 and painted to match car 3101, which it is paired with on the Hiwassee River Railroad out of Etowah, TN.
3101- This 60 seat coach was built in 1946 by American Car & Foundry for the Louisville and Nashville Railroad for use on their premier train, called "The Hummingbird", which ran between Cincinnati and New Orleans. The car later was owned by the Friends of the 261 and based in the Twin Cities area, and then sold to the Hardin & Southern Railroad in Kentucky. The car was purchased by TVRM in 2006, and soon thereafter restored to its as-delivered L&N appearance. Today, the car is in service on the Hiwassee River Railroad and carries markings honoring the memory of longtime Hiwassee River Railroad car host and L&N Track Foreman Parnick William (P.W.) Jones.
662- This 56 seat coach was built by American Car & Foundry in 1947 for the Central of Georgia Railroad. The car was the 3rd in a class of cars built for use on the Nancy Hanks II and saw many years of service for the Central and successor Southern Railway. The car would then be donated to the Southeastern Railway Museum(SERM) in 1980. The car is on lease from SERM for use on our Hiwassee River Rail Adventure trains.
829- This 52 sear car was built by the Budd Company in 1949 for the Southern Railway. The car was used on trains such as "The Southern", "The Tennessean", "The Royal Palm", and "The Crescent". The car is now owned by the Appalachia Railway Museum and is leased to TVRM.
832- This 52 sear car was built by the Budd Company in 1949 for the Southern Railway. The car was used on trains such as "The Southern", "The Tennessean", "The Royal Palm", and "The Crescent." TVRM would acquire the car in 2011 and is currently conducting a complete restoration to bring the car back into service.
Southern RPO 40- Railway Post Office (RPO) Car 40 was built by American Car and Foundry for the Southern Railway in 1922. It operated throughout the Tennessee Valley Region with U.S. postal workers on board, sorting mail as the car rolled from one location to the next. The 40 is on display at TVRM's East Chattanooga shops awaiting restoration.
Dining Car 899- Built in 1954 by the Pullman Standard Company for the Grand Trunk Western Railroad. This car is owned by the Bluewater Michigan Chapter of the NRHS, they lease the car out to TVRM for our Dinner Trains and trips into Northwest Georgia.
20 and 22- These 80 seat cars were built by the Budd Company in 1953 for the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad. These cars were once self-propelled, not needing a locomotive to move them and were used in local commuter service.
Dining Car 3164- This car was built in 1924 by the Pullman Company for the Southern Railway. The Southern Appalachia Railway Museum would acquire the car in 1996 and use it till 2017. The car is leased to TVRM and is currently awaiting small maintenance repairs before being brought back into service for TVRM dinner trains.
Commissary Car 50- Built in 1953 by the St Louis Car Company for the United States Army as a kitchen car. This car would have been used to cook meals for injured soldiers on hospital trains. The Korean War would end before the car would see use on a Hospital Train. Today it is used as our Commissary Car for our Summerville Steam Specials. One side of the car serves as a snack bar, while the other half has a gift shop with lots of souvenirs.
Algonquin Park, Dome/Observation- Built in 1954 by the Budd Company for the Canadian Pacific, this series of Dome-Observation were named after a Candian national or provincial park. The Algonquin Park was named after the Algonquin Indian tribe. These cars would feature three bedrooms, a lounge area, the observation area, and the upper dome area. Both the dome and observation area allows for spectacular views of the passing scenery. *Due to multiple steps throughout the car, and with steps that lead to the dome, this car is not recommended for persons with mobility issues.
Observation Car 6604- This Observation-Tavern-Lounge car was built by the Budd Company in 1947 for the Seaboard Railway. This car would have been the last car on either the "Silver Comet" and the "Silver Meteor". This car is owned by the Bluewater Michigan Chapter of the NRHS and is leased to TVRM as one of our first-class cars.
Dining Car "Greenville"- Built in 1950 by the Pullman Standard Company for the Atlantic Coast Line. The car would have served 36 passengers at a time, three times a day with all food being cooked on board. Today the car is on display at Grand Junction but can be rented out for birthday parties.