349- built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1891 for the Central of Georgia Railway, the 349 is one of the few remaining examples of the most common type of locomotive ever built. The design was so ubiquitous that it earned the name “American” locomotive. It is distinguished by its four small wheels in the front and four large wheels behind, with no wheels in the rear. Thus it is a 4-4-0 type wheel arrangement. Various locomotive manufacturers built the American-type locomotive from prior to the Civil War until the 1920s.
4501- built by Baldwin Locomotive Works in 1911 for the Southern Railway, the 4501 was the first of its class on that railroad. The wheel arrangement is a 2-8-2, known as a Mikado since the first of this type were sold to Japan. 4501 served the Southern until the 1940s when the railroad began buying diesel locomotives and phasing out steam operations. The locomotive then saw service on a small coal-hauling railroad in Kentucky. When the small Kentucky railroad put the 4501 up for sale for scrap value in the early 1960s, TVRM’s first president, Paul Merriman, purchased the locomotive, brought it to Chattanooga and returned it to service. Since the mid-1960s, 4501 has pulled countless passenger excursion trains across the Southern (later Norfolk Southern) Railway. The 4501 ended its service in 1999 due to rising maintenance costs. However, with the start of Norfolk Southern’s “21st Century Steam” program, the 4501 will return to service.
6914- General Motors Corporation’s Electro-Motive Division built the 6914 for the Southern Railway in 1953. It is known as an E8 diesel-electric locomotive. Passengers loved the streamlined design of this and similar locomotives which convey a sense of speed and modernity. The 6914 hauled one of the Southern Railway’s signature trains, the Southern Crescent, between New Orleans and Washington, D.C. The locomotive is currently under restoration back to operating condition by an all-volunteer crew. Soon, the 6914 will once again haul passenger trains as it did many decades ago.
630- The American Locomotive Company, also known as ALCO, built the 630 for the Southern Railway in 1904. The wheel arrangement of this engine is a 2-8-0, known as a Consolidation. Railroads used these locomotives to haul freight on short trips or around large rail yards. The 630 was recently under restoration at TVRM for almost ten years. It has been returned to service and will haul passenger trains at the museum as well as for Norfolk Southern Railroad’s “21st Century Steam” program.
610- The Baldwin-Lima-Hamilton Corporation built the 610 in 1952 for the U.S. Army. It was one of the last steam locomotives built for service in this country. The Army used the 610 as a training locomotive, preparing crews to operate on European railroads if the need arose, and they retired it in the early 1960s. After coming to TVRM in 1978, the locomotive was restored to operation and it has been in nearly continuous service since 1991. The 610 is currently out of service awaiting a major overhaul after which it will reenter service at TVRM.
2594- General Motors Corporation’s Electro-Motive Division built the 2594 in 1962 for the Southern Railway. On loan from the Atlanta Chapter NRHS, it is known as a GP-30 and has over 2,000 horsepower. The engine would have been used in tandem with other diesel-electric locomotives to haul long freight trains across the country. Today, the 2594 hauls TVRM’s excursion trains and wears the same historic Southern Railway paint scheme as when it was new.
1824 & 1829- These diesel-electric locomotives, built by EMD in the early 1950s for the U.S. Army, would have switched freight cars at the Holston Army Ammunition Plant. They are GP-7 type locomotives, developing 1,500 horsepower and proving to be one of the more versatile designs of the mid-Twentieth century, hauling both freight and passengers in various settings.
8669- The American Locomotive Company (ALCO) built this RSD-1 in 1945 for service in the U.S. Army. It served later with the U.S. Air Force at Eglin Air Force base when TVRM acquired it in the late 1970s. This diesel-electric locomotive is a long-time veteran of TVRM’s passenger trains hauling the Missionary Ridge Local as well as longer excursion trains.
710- The 710 is a GP-7 type diesel-electric locomotive built by the Electro-Motive Division in 1950 for the Nashville, Chattanooga and St. Louis (NC&St.L) Railroad. Today, TVRM has restored the locomotive to its original 1950s appearance and uses the locomotive on the Hiwassee River Railroad, formerly the Louisville and Nashville Railroad which owned the NC&St.L.
1000/1688- These passenger coaches, built by the Pullman Company in 1922 for the Southern Railway, are some of the oldest coaches in operation at TVRM. They are open-window coaches, having never been modernized by Southern Railway with sealed windows and climate control as many older coaches were. Today, they are popular additions on trains because of their 1920s appearance and their open windows which allow passengers to listen to working locomotives and the clickety-clack of the rails.
906- Built in 1925 by the Pullman Company for the Central of Georgia Railroad, the 906 would have originally resembled TVRM’s coach 1000 before being modernized in the late 1940s. 906 is unique in TVRM’s collection because of the dividing wall in the middle of the car denoting it as a segregated or “Jim Crow” car. The Central of Georgia Railroad used this car in regular service, relegating African-American passengers to a separate section complete with segregated restrooms until the end of that era on railroads in the 1950s. Today, TVRM maintains this car in its original configuration as a reminder of a difficult time in our nation’s history. While unpleasant to remember, it is important to understand this past along with the other stories we preserve at TVRM.
907- Built in 1947 by American Car and Foundry for the Central of Georgia Railroad, the 907 is similar to coach 906 in that it was a segregated or “Jim Crow” car. However, the railroad later removed the central dividing wall after the era of segregation ended making it a normal coach. Today, it remains an open coach with only the separate restrooms as an indicator of its segregated past.
98- The Pullman Company built car number 98 in 1917 as a private car for the president of the Baltimore and Ohio Railroad featuring a kitchen, crews’ quarters, dining room, three state rooms and a lounge. The car also features mahogany paneling, brass fixtures, leaded glass interior windows and a rear, open observation platform. While the railroad updated the 98 in the 1930s to include sealed windows and climate control, it has changed very little since. Today, the car is available to the public for charter on TVRM’s various excursions. It comfortably seats ten passengers for lunch and eight for dinner and can carry twelve passengers total. The 98 is TVRM’s most luxurious car and allows its passengers to ride in a true first-class style reminiscent of a bygone age.
The "98" turns 100 years old this year, and due to its age and use, the car is in need of a wide-ranging restoration.
We encourage you to help TVRM in its efforts to complete this very important project! All donors will be invited to the recommissioning ceremony to begin the 98's next 100 years of service.
Clover Colony- The Pullman Company built the Clover Colony in 1920 for the Southern Pacific Railroad. It is a sleeping car from the company whose name is synonymous with railroad sleeping accommodations. It is known as an “8-5” because there are eight open section-type sleeping accommodations (akin to bunk beds) and five compartment-type sleeping accommodations (more private, similar to a small bedroom). While TVRM does not offer overnight trips in which the Clover Colony could be put to its original use, the car often travels with the 98 and the dining car, offering first class seating options for passengers. The interior of the car is decorated in its original 1920s decor, transporting passengers to the decade when the Pullman Company was at its height and passengers traveling overnight could travel in Pullman safety and comfort.
Dining Car 3158- The 3158, built by Pullman in 1924 for the Southern Railway, served the railroad until 1968 when Southern donated the car to TVRM. When first built, the car featured open windows, a clerestory roof, ornate fixtures reminiscent of the early 1920s and two-person tables along one side, four-person tables along the other. The railroad updated the car often, the last time in the late 1940s, removing the clerestory roof in favor of a simpler, rounded roof, heating, and air conditioning, sealed windows and a new seating arrangement of four-person tables throughout. Today, the 3158 travels with most of TVRM’s longer excursions offering meal service to passengers. While many museums use caterers to prepare food off-site and simply serve on board, TVRM is proud to prepare all meals onboard from fresh ingredients. Have a meal in the 3158 and travel back to a time when railroad cuisine made all passengers feel first class.